7/17/2013

Changing a needle can change your life!

This week at work I wrote a text about sewing needles and during the research I often read that the effect of a bent or slightly broken needle can highly effect the machine. So when I came home first thing I did, was changing the needles of my serger. I hadn't used that machine for about two years, because it didn't work properly anymore. So, I set in the new needles, which were still in the little box belonging to the machine and voilá - machine works perfectly again.

To celebrate this and welcome back the machine in my life I used it every evening since then. Not one, not two, but four tops and one blouse were sewn on the machine in the past three days.

The first item was a blouse made of fabric that I bought on my Paris trip last year for Valentines Day. I had already assembled the body of the blouse with French seams and just needed to attach the collar. I tried it with my regular machine, but didn't like the end result, so I wanted to serge it. With my "new" machine I had done the task in less than 30 minutes.
Here is the result:
The pattern is a vintage pattern from Burda Moden March '77. It's two pieces and the collar, so it's quite simple. For the side and shoulder seams I used French seams and for the hem I simply zig zagged a sort of rolled hem, to prevent the hem from fraying.
In the front piece is a slit on the neckline and the collar can be tied in the front. If it was a little bit longer you could also tie a bow, I can just knot it.
Here you can see the fabric in detail. See those little hearts? So sweet and such a good memory of Valentines Day in Paris.
In the next days I'll show you the other finished projects like my new metallic jersey drapey top and tiny tank imitation.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...