6/20/2015

Tine Travels: Lignano Sabbiadoro and Venice

The way I choose my travel destinations is always led by different motivations. Once a year I want to have a nice holiday on a beach, with a bit of sightseeing and general relaxing atmosphere. Then there should always be a city trip to get to know another culture.
And then there are the travel destinations that are led by events, like in this year for example the World Champinoships in Wheelgymnastics 2015. I didn't just want to attend the event, I also applied for a volunteering position and so I helped on three days for a couple of hours with the event that took place in Lignano Sabbiadoro/Italy.
The wheelgymastics competition took place in the same week that the World Sports Games 2015 were held in Lignano. It's a sort of mini Olympic Games just for amateur sportsmen. But it had all the same ceremonys like lighting a fire, an opening ceremony with music and shows and a sports village, where most of the competitions took place.
The wheelgymnastics show was very well appreciated by the audience and in the come and try sessions that were held during the week lots of people said, what they saw there animated them to come and try this kind of sport.
This is the German wheelgymastics team. I'm very proud of one of the gymnasts whom I know from about eight years ago, when he started in my club as a beginner and now eight years later he takes part in a World Championships competition.

As I had to take days off from work, I also wanted to see Venice which is closeby to Lignano, so on Day Three of the games I said goodbye to my fellow volunteers and went on to see Venice. After a one hour train ride and a short trip by bus, I arrived at my camping ground, where I stayed for two more nights.
I immediately made my way to the old town of Venice and got on the vaporetto to explore the Grand Canal and the centre of Venezia.
I couldn't stop snapping pictures, because Venice is just so pretty.
I spent some time in the area of the Rialto Bridge and just enjoyed watching other tourists from all over the world.
On my last day in Venice I stopped by the Piazza di San Marco and enjoyed a beautiful view from the tower.
I also went into the Basicilia di San Marco, but no pictures are allowed in there.
But this is one of the beautiful mosaics at the entrance of the Basilica.
I also visited Burano, which I heard of and when I saw it in person, it was so pretty! Unfortunately stupid me forgot to charge the camera before heading to Burano, so I could take only three or four pictures there and then my camera went dead. I definitely have to come back!
I was inspired by the gondolieri who wear striped t-shirts or polo shirts and so I wore my denim pinafore dress with a stripey tee. I had a lot of me-made garments with me on this travel.
And of course I also bought some fabric. I stumbled upon the shop Benevento when I was just hanging around and of course I had to get a fabric souvenir, though at 35 € for 1,5 m it was definitely on the expensive side.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...